The role of Managers is unlike Governors in the UK. They advise and support the Head. They have no legal powers.
The Chair is the Parent Manager who serves on the Board of Education.
The Managers meet at least once a term.
Chair: Stephen Dent
IJS Parent Members: Mrs Sharon Gilbert, Miss Barbara Steen
Camp Ed Parent Members: Mrs Sarah Boyce, Mrs Susie Hansen
IJS Staff Rep: Mr Robin Cooper
Camp Education Staff Rep: Miss Clare Ryan
Head Teacher: Mr Tom Hill
Secretary: Mrs June McMullen
There were two apologies for the meeting, Susie Hansen and Sarah Boyce; hopefully we will catch up with them at the next meeting.
The first item on the agenda was the minutes of the previous meeting. Mr Hill gave an excellent summary of the work completed in camp with internet provision. I would like to publicly thank Cable and Wireless and the FIG IT section for their support in getting this important project off the ground.
Mr Hill also confirmed the classes for 2012/13; these have all been published in the school newsletter.
Mr Hill then gave his Head Teachers report.
Worthy of note was;
“In year progress is good across each Key Stage:
Year 2 (end of KS1 ) 100% of children are on track to make expected progress in reading, maths and science and 96.5% children in writing. The Average Point Score (APS,) in each subject currently exceeds the UK average for the year group.
(NB as recommended by Ofsted, “progress” in KS1 is taken from Y1 – 2 and not based on FS2 indicators.)
Year 6 (end of KS2) 100% of children with existing year 2 data are now on track to achieve the expected amount of progress across the Key Stage in Reading, Writing, Maths and Science. This is an increased rate of progress from earlier in the year and probably reflects the input from the year 6 booster classes. The Average Point Score (APS,) in each subject currently exceeds the UK average for the year group.”
• All recruitments for IJS, Settlement and Camp Ed teachers have been completed for 2012/13.
• Staff have been allocated to year groups for 2012/13.
• 5 LSA posts remain unfilled for Sept 2012.
• Significant sickness/compassionate leave issues have arisen and met using supply staff.
• The re-painting of the front “curved” façade and re-painting of the roof of the school has not been done by PWD – we await a new date for this work.
• A meeting has taken place with PWD to assess the current rate of progress on the redevelopment of the veranda area. Plans have now been drawn and work is scheduled to commence over Christmas 2012/13.
• The “secret garden” area will be upgraded in Sept 2012 using funds donated by the SCB. A “Garden Committee,” will be established in July to oversee this work.
• The FS1 temporary build at Stanley House is on track and PWD assure us it will be complete by Aug 2012.
• Plans for an “overarching BASE” class are progressing and Jane Evans has met with FICS staff to discuss the transition needs of individual children.
2. School Improvement Plan
• This is on track, has been updated and a parent friendly copy placed on the website.
3. Website and On line Provision
• The website continues to thrive with increasing content. Meetings have taken place with the Education Dept and Mr Steve Dent to ensure that website provision fits in with plans for a new government website.
• “Moodle” training has continued.
• An improved internet use deal has been negotiated with C&W
• IJS are working in partnership with the training centre to deliver “Online Adult Ed” courses from Sept 2012.”
Managers thanked Mr Hill for a very comprehensive report.
On each Managers meeting agenda, we always have a section where we discuss the Community Library. There was little to discuss this month, however if you have any queries or issues please contact one of the School Managers to discuss. Mr Cooper asked if the Education Board could consider further funding so as to allow for the purchase of curriculum specific texts, I will pass this on to the Education Board at their next meeting.
The matter of membership of the IJS and Camp Education Managers was then discussed. Since IJS and Camp Education was merged there has been some confusion over the impact of this on the School Managers. All Managers were keen to ensure that Camp Teachers and Camp Parents were fairly represented on the Managers Committee and this has been agreed by Education management. We intend to hold a final meeting of the current group of Managers in September and then hold an election for new members.
I hope that as many parents as possible get involved in their school Managers and am happy to discuss the role if people so wish.
We hade a long discussion regarding special needs provision in 2012/13, most of which was confidential, however I can assure parents that IJS/Camp Education remains committed to excellent provision and Managers remained satisfied with progress in this area. I raised a number of issues at Education Board, in the open section on pay for LSA’s and in the closed section about transition concerns as students move to FICS in the future. Managers have committed to keeping special needs provision high on our agenda for the future.
Finally the recent SATS were discussed, and it was noted that only the end KS1 and KS2 SATS are marked externally and that all others are marked internally.
The very last item on the agenda was a note of farewell to Richard Fogerty, Assistant Director of Education, who left FIG on Friday 29th June after 44 years service, most of which was in Camp Education. Richard will be sadly missed by all involved in Education and on behalf of the Managers I wish him well for his future ventures wherever that may take him.
We intend to meet again in September, the date for the next meeting has not yet been determined.
Chair IJS and Camp Education Managers